Is there a special canine in your life that you want to celebrate this Valentine’s day? There’s no better way to show your pooch a little extra love than with a delectable homemade treat. Which is why we’ve scoured the internet to bring you some amazing Valentine’s Day healthy dog treat recipes.
Virtually foolproof, these dog treat recipes are beginner-friendly, even for someone who can’t distinguish a sifter from a whisk. (Trust me—I’m no baker, but I’d try my hand at any one of these.)
All it takes to whip these up is a little bit of effort and a few wholesome ingredients that you probably already have stocked in your pantry.
They’re healthy. They’re fun. They’re crazy delicious! (at least, your dog will think so.)
Now, that’s what I call love!
1. Heart-Shaped Beet Treats
Kait over at Habits of a Modern Hippie brings us these darling red heart-shaped doggie treats that will have your pup licking his chops with excitement.
The crimson color of fresh beets makes this healthy veggie a no-brainer when it comes to Valentine’s Day. Plus, the beets lend a natural sweetness to this treat. This recipe is sure to score you major brownie points with your favorite pup!
Best thing about them? They only require four ingredients. That’s right. Couldn’t be easier.
Oh—and they freeze well. So double up, and stash some away for a rainy day.
2 ½ C Whole Wheat Flour
2 Large Eggs
1 Large Beet, cubed
½ C Peanut Butter
1. Preheat oven to 350°F
2. Process the cubed beet with the eggs, until well-blended
3. Add peanut butter to the mix and process until fully incorporated
4. Slowly add flour, and process in increments until the mixture is completely blended (feel free to add a small amount of water if needed)
5. Dump out the mixture and knead well. Roll out the dough to your desired thickness, and use a cookie cutter to cut out heart shapes
7. Place on a parchment-lined baking sheet, and bake for 20-25 minutes
2. Apple and Peanut Butter Hearts
Get your dog’s tail wagging with a batch of these scrumptious apple-filled Valentine treats. Seriously, you can’t go wrong when peanut butter’s involved! This wholesome and healthy dog treat recipe is adapted from The Itsy Bitsy Kitchen.
⅔ C grated apple
1 ¼ C whole wheat flour (plus, more if needed)
1 C all-purpose flour (plus, extra for dusting)
3 tbsp flax seeds (finely ground)
¾ C warm water
⅔ C creamy peanut butter
1. Preheat oven to 350°F
2. Squeeze excess moisture from the grated apple with a paper towel
3. Combine both flours with flax seed in a mixing bowl
4. Add water and peanut butter. Stir with hands until combined
5. Add grated apple and knead the dough until all elements are fully incorporated
6. Roll out the dough and use a cookie cutter to cut out desired shapes
7. Bake 26-30 minutes, until treats are a light, golden brown
3. Healthy Cranberry Valentine Treats
Nothing says Valentine’s Day like a fresh batch of cranberry-filled treats. The folks over at Pretty Fluffy came up with these irresistible Cranberry hearts as the perfect way to show your pup how much she’s loved.
1 ½ C almond flour
1 Tbsp coconut oil
3-4 Tbsp coconut flour
½ C dried cranberries
1. Preheat oven to °325 F
2. Beat the eggs, and set aside
3. In a bowl, combine the flour, coconut oil, and cranberries
4. Using your hands, combine the eggs into the mixture until the dough comes together (it will be pretty wet)
5. One tbsp at a time, add in the coconut flour. Aim for a consistency that is both easy to roll and not too sticky. The dough should easily form into a ball.
6. Roll out the dough and use a cookie cutter to punch out cute shapes
7. Place cutouts on a parchment-lined tray and bake for 15-18 minutes (or until crisp)